16 November 2010

What Audrey is thankful for this year

As we prepare for Thanksgiving, I've really been trying to teach Audrey what being "thankful" really means. We talk about the pilgrims and why they came to America and why we eat turkeys, but I really want her to understand and appreciate her blessings. Last night after her bedtime story, I asked her what she was thankful for. She looked at me blankly. I then asked her what makes her happy. Fully expecting her to say her Bitty Baby or her new Toy Story toys she surprised me when she said, "when Allie smiles." I smiled and clarified that she meant when her little sister smiles, that's what makes her happy. And that, melts my heart.

THEN TODAY, we made a thankful tree. We traced her hands on colored paper and used them as "leaves" on the tree that I free handed and cut out. It's not the prettiest tree but it's pretty cute. On the five leaves she had to tell me what what she was thankful for and why. This is what she said (honest, I didn't coach her at all)

1. Daddy, because he makes money so we can shop
2. Mommy, because you make me orange juice everyday
3. Allie, because I like to play with her
4. My friends
5. Bitty Baby. And Paige. And Reagan. And New Baby (her newest doll, this is not an announcement of any kind), and my Toy Story toys.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to tell my hubby that I am thankful for him going to 'work' everyday, so I can shop! Julia says to me everyday...'Daddy's going to work...He has to make some cash!' Classic! And, I'm glad your heart melts too...

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.