11 May 2010

Mother's Day

a day that brings back memories posing with my brothers on the front steps of our old farmhouse for a picture. A day that my Father would remind us every hour that it was Mother's Day and to not act up! Going to church and making cards for Mom or getting her flowers to wear that day. The one day a year that we were to say, "thanks for being my mom." Now that I'm a mom, I realize that once a year is simply not enough!

I love pictures. And even though it pains me on a deep level that I'm not as put together (and i mean, skinny) as the picture I'd like to be that is only seen in my head, I needed to take a picture, perhaps only for documental purposes, of me and my girls. My job. My life.

I thought all week about a Mother's Day blog. What I'd write, what I enjoyed most about my job and being a mother. Frankly, I'm too tired this year. Allie and Audrey and I have had the same cold for almost two weeks. Between the coughs and abundance of mucus no one has been sleeping well.

So I'm going to bullet the top 10 of Mother's Day 2010

1. I love being a mother of two beautiful girls. It is the hardest job I've ever had. It challenges me on many levels.

2. I love it that Audrey bounced into my room Sunday morning and proudly said "Happy Mother's Day, Mom!" and gave me a big hug.

3. I love that my husband got me flowers and had them delivered on Saturday.

4. I love the stepping stone the girls made me with their handprints! Audrey did this my very first mother's day. Love to see how they grow.

5. I love my family's attempt at making brunch, my husband did a great job frying 2 pounds of bacon.

6. I love that my sisters (in-law, but who's keeping track of that anymore) did all my dishes after our Sunday night dinner for my mom. Hannah and Autumn, you rock!

7. I love the flowers that Drew and Autumn got me for Mother's Day--and their thoughtfulness.

8. I love that Allie fell asleep during praise and worship at church and slept through the entire service.

9. I love that Allie woke up happy today. She by and large is a happy baby, but never seems to wake up and coo. She just cries.

10. I LOVE that for the first time in 3 years I'm not pregnant or breast feeding on Mother's Day! 2007 = pregnant with Audrey, 2008 = pumping for Audrey, 2009 = pregnant with Allie.

I think when you're in the trenches of motherhood--changing diapers, temper tantrums, midnight or 3 o'clock feedings, potty training, etc no one tells you that you're doing a good job on a regular basis and it's the little things that give you the most encouragement. Most of the time around here I ask what am I doing wrong!? How can I fix this? Why is she acting up or why won't she stop crying? Why can't I get anything done or where is the kitchen island--I've lost it in all this clutter! So when someone does something unexpected, whether that be flowers or a cup of coffee, I'm thrilled! It may not mean I'm succeeding at this job, but it sure brightens my day knowing someone thought of me.


flowers my husband got me
stepping stone with Allie and Audrey's handprints

me and Allie (Audrey had boycotted the picture idea at this point)

me and my girls, Mother's Day 2010

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Love your Mother's Day blog, Sarah. Thanks for making us grandparents for your beautiful daughters!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.