20 May 2010

visit to see Dr. Emm

The girls went into see Dr. Emm to rule out strep throat and because Audrey was complaining that it was hurting when she went potty. (sigh)

The verdict: No strep throat and Audrey's urine was ok. Meaning the sore throat could be from drainage caused by allergies or because they'd both gotten over a nasty cough the week before. Audrey's sore bottom area--lose the diapers! I'm always anxious to see their weight when we go to the doctor. Allie weighed 18 pounds and 9 ounces and Audrey is 35 and 3/4 pounds!

Here's the story:

The walls on the doctor's office have the most entertaining job, I think. Watching mothers of multiple children drag everyone and everything into the office. manipulating the doors with a bigger than life diaper bag with an 18 pound baby on one hip (which isn't nearly as bad as lugging the infant carrier) and steering the toddler in the right direction with the other arm. Then, of course they always ask for your insurance card even if you were just there last week! So, with one hand they fumble through their wallet sort through the million plastic cards as a line of other patients line up behind them. Its got to look hilarious.

Audrey looked rather cute this day, albeit her being "sick." The nurses always comment on the baby she brings. This day though, she brought two babies. I guess one just wasn't comfort enough. She was complete with ballet flats a jean jacket and her brown beret walking down towards the exam room with her babies.

When the doctor told me they'd need to do a urine sample I looked at him and said, "oh, you want us to do that here!?" Checking Audrey's throat is a battle, I couldn't imagine getting her to pee in a cup in a strange bathroom. That process is hard enough when I have to do it. If we didn't accomplish this mission we'd have to go home, capture it in the morning and bring it back.

When Dr. Emm left the room I knew i had to pump this up to be really cool. I pour on my best psychology and tell her she gets to potty in a cup like Mommy does when she's pregnant! I then promise chocolate milk for results.

We opt to do the urine sample before the throat cultures. Allie is laying on the scale, in nothing but her diaper. Audrey is in a diaper and t-shirt. The nurse tells me the bathroom is right across the hall. Ok. No way can I take both girls with me. I say, "I feel kinda weird leaving her (Allie) in here....I know you're a nurse but I've heard stories....." I mean really, did I think she was going to take her? But, as a mom, those thoughts run through your head. Luckily, I had an understanding nurse who agreed to take Allie into the hallway outside the bathroom while I helped Audrey.

Note: Allie was/is going through separation anxiety and Audrey hasn't peed in the toilet in over two weeks. Here was hoping she still remembered how!

Audrey and I enter the bathroom and I put the toilet paper down on the seat, sit her on it and pause. I look at the cup and look at her, and she's looking at me, like "Ok mom, now what!?" I put the cup into position and say, "Ok Audrey, go ahead and pee." To my sheer delight, she does! Whew! Thank God. By this time I hear Allie start to scream in the hallway. She's now well aware her Mommy isn't in view. We hurry and wash up. Urine sample, check! Up next: throat cultures.

I held Audrey in my lap and helped hold Allie down on the table as the nurse swabbed their throats. They both cried briefly, at one point they were both crying at the same time. (sigh) It's times like this I wish I had a body double.









Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.