30 June 2011

It seems we have a budding artist on our hands


We have one of those rooms. That useless room at the front of the house that if it was 1920 we'd retire there after dinner with our dinner guests and sip scotch or coffee and listen to classical music. And it would be called a parlor. I don't go in this room everyday. It houses some of the kid's toys, the piano and one or two small pieces of furniture. 

Not just any piano, but the heirloom piano my husbands family passed on to us when Audrey expressed an interest in music. 

This is how I found it the other day:


All 88 keys autographed with pink permanent marker. Scribbles and little "A's" and PERMANENT marker! And since I don't frequently visit this room, it had sat there a few days, making sure the marker was nice and set in by the time I found it. Ugh. 

Honestly, I don't remember what all I said first, but a thousand thoughts rushed through my head.  I finally  asked calmly what happened, and I got the standard three year old answer, "I don't know." And then, she tried to blame it on her 18 month old sister. 

For awhile, I thought we were stuck with hot pink keys forever. She scrubbed and scrubbed, as did I. Until I remembered my Norwex micro hand pads, which are like the magic eraser but without the formaldehyde. They get scuffs off walls and baseboards, permanent marker, etc off hard surfaces. By the time I remembered these, both girls were in their room for quiet time. The marker came off so quickly,  it was borderline fun. I had to remind myself to save a few keys for Audrey. When she woke up from her nap she cleaned the last four keys until there were no signs of little pink markings. 

This isn't her first writing offense. The girl has continuously gotten in trouble the past few months for writing on the ottoman with pen, autographing the dining room chairs, drawing on her sister, and now, the heirloom piano. She is obviously creative and needs a way to channel it. 

Do we normally leave permanent markers within reach? Of course not. Are there any markers at all in her little art caddy? No. Are any and all markers she's ever allowed to play with washable. Of course! She found this marker when we were getting ready for our summer solstice party last Tuesday. I had gotten the sharpie down and laid it on the kitchen island next to the cups to be taken outside when the party started. (No one likes to wonder, "Is this my drink?" ) Sometime in the hour of me getting that down and getting the food ready, she confiscated it, used it, and left it, randomly on the floor. Would my sneaky daughter ever confess? Of heavens no. And I was too preoccupied prepping ice cream and toppings to notice that my marker was missing. 

Like my SIL Gina said, "Maybe one day she'll be a famous artist and you'll laugh at this." 

Regardless, I'm just happy the keys are back to their original form. 


whew! thank heavens for those Norwex pads!











Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.