It was May 25, 2011. It was the night I was playing single parent while Jeremy golfed after work. The forecast was a hot and sticky mess that later produced funnel clouds. In the midst of frantically signing them up online for swim lessons, fixing supper and hearing the tornado warning sirens, I saw 2 pink lines.
It was 5:30 p.m. I was pregnant. I smiled to myself momentarily, celebrating the moment, and then life demanded my attention elsewhere.
Unable to keep the excitement to myself for long, I tried texting Jeremy, knowing he was busy.
"I've got news" was the text and it got no response.
It was storming, indeed and a tornado watch we were under. It wasn't until I called the gym needing help singing up for swim lessons did I learn that we were under a tornado warning. And then, a few minutes later, the sirens sounded. Although, after looking outside and seeing the sky I didn't need a siren. Stories from my father's childhood and the tornado that hit our farmhouse confirmed that I should be in the basement.
My heart raced for a few hours, from the weather and from the 2 pink lines I saw earlier. No tornado ever touched down, but the half hour that was 5:30-6:00 p.m. that night, produced the most excitement surrounding a pregnancy test I'd ever taken.
So how did I tell my husband? I sent him a text. I should have known better. He's not one for reading into things.
I sent: "All 4 of us are in the basement."
and he responded with: "You, Auds, Allie and Rapunzel? (Audrey's favorite Disney character as of late)
See what I mean? I should have just come out and said, "Took a pregnancy test and it was positive. Congrats. "
The confusion went on for a few more texts until I told him the 4th was baby number 3. He was shocked and excited. He'd wanted this pregnancy since January, and I said, no, give me 6 months. Jeremy's theory as of now with child producing, is, while you're in the trenches of diapers and middle of the night wake-ups just stay in the trenches until you can dig yourself out for good. I don't disagree, but Allie's first year was hard, and mostly because she wouldn't sleep. Plus, I wanted to lose weight first. The thought of 30 pounds on top of my current weight scared me. I told him to give me 6 months.
And that brings us to May 25th. I'm very excited about being pregnant for the 4th time, with our 3rd child. I didn't lose the weight I wanted, but I did build a lot of muscle from January--April.
A small tidbit: How did I know i was ready to get pregnant again? Life sent me to a urologist in early May. When he gave me the good news that everything looked good I asked him if it was ok to get pregnant. This was a doctor I had never met before that day. He said go for it! That was when I knew it wouldn't be long.
I'm due February 5th. Several ultra sounds have the baby looking good, this last one he/she wouldn't stop moving long enough to get a decent picture, and I'm pretty sure he/she had hiccups. But we tracked a heartbeat at 145.
The day before, life took me into the OB office to hear the baby's heart tones after a little scare while in the Dells. That time, it was 163.
We discovered after the ultrasound that I have early placenta previa. At this stage it's likely to move up, out of the way, resulting in a normal pregnancy. That's what we're hoping for. I'm now 14 weeks. They hope by 18 weeks, I can continue life as normal. For now, no lifting over 10 pounds (except when I HAVE to pick up my 30 and 41 pound children), pelvic rest, etc.
I saw those 2 pink positive pregnancy test lines when I was 3.5 weeks. Told my mom when I was 5.5 weeks. Told the family on Father's Day and officially announced it after a sonogram on July 26th, at 12 weeks.
So far in this pregnancy:
weight: haven't gained a pound.
cravings: they fluctuate a lot. The first two weeks (before I even knew) I was craving ice cream a lot. Then it was chips and salsa. Anything with chips and salsa. Then the nausea kicked in like it's never before and I stopped eating a lot of much. A mixture of 7-Up and Orange Juice got me through those rough days. That, and bland gluten free crackers. This week I craved enchiladas, so I made some.
Food aversions: meat, Fritos, popcorn, now at 12 weeks, chips and salsa, and ice cream. Oh and homemade ribs. My husband spent a lot of time smoking ribs this spring/summer and the sauce he makes to go with them makes my stomach turn. The night we told family, we served the best ribs he'd ever made, and I couldn't stay out of them (without the sauce).
boy/girl: can't decide if I want to find out or not. At my 12 week sono the tech asked if I wanted her to look to see if she could tell and without hesitation I said, "Sure!" So, I'm not positive that I can hold out until the baby is born. I do like the idea of being surprised, but I also like to plan ahead.
baby is measuring: right on target. The dates I gave her initially matched up perfectly to how the baby was progressing. I'm getting good at tracking!
Sarah
I'm so thrilled for your family, Sarah, and what a cute story about how clueless men can be sometimes! They definitely don't read into things....even when you desperately want them to. Congrats and keep me posted on how you and baby are doing :)
ReplyDelete