Audrey loved her first day of preschool!
Audrey's reaction today, when we dropped her off, let me know that this is much harder on me than it is on her. Allie and I signed her in, hung up her backpack, got out her homework from her Tinkerbell folder and she moved her rainbow from the home poster to the school poster (signing herself in) before I even thought to remind her. When the teacher opened the door, Audrey was the first one in. She handed her homework to the teacher, turned around to find me through the thick of other mommies and other classmates, and waved as she smiled and said, "Bye Mom." I think I said out loud, "Don't I at least get a hug?" Feeling sorry for myself, I went in to the classroom (where all the other mommies were) and gave her hugs and kisses, told her I loved her and that I'd be back to get her in an hour. (Another short day. Wednesday will be her first full day of school).
Audrey's reaction today, when we dropped her off, let me know that this is much harder on me than it is on her. Allie and I signed her in, hung up her backpack, got out her homework from her Tinkerbell folder and she moved her rainbow from the home poster to the school poster (signing herself in) before I even thought to remind her. When the teacher opened the door, Audrey was the first one in. She handed her homework to the teacher, turned around to find me through the thick of other mommies and other classmates, and waved as she smiled and said, "Bye Mom." I think I said out loud, "Don't I at least get a hug?" Feeling sorry for myself, I went in to the classroom (where all the other mommies were) and gave her hugs and kisses, told her I loved her and that I'd be back to get her in an hour. (Another short day. Wednesday will be her first full day of school).
I almost didn't get Allie out of the classroom. She saw all those toys and thought she got to stay. She whimpered a little when we got in the car, never really riding by herself (she still is rear facing). When we got to the store, as I was unbuckling her I said, "Allie, it's just you and Mommy today." She smiled from ear to ear. She was thrilled to have Mommy all to herself.
We found Audrey sitting on her mat in the circle, with all the other kids when we arrived to pick her up. She seemed excited to see us when we returned, even though her dress was wet. The wet dress is still a mystery. She claims she went down the slide on the playground and it was wet. Her dress was dirty in that one spot, so that made sense. Although there are other theories...
She requested PB&J for lunch.
No denying it, Kindergarten, is a much bigger step. But for a mom who has spent all day almost every single day with her daughter since she's been born, giving her up for just a few hours, a few days a week is big.
I did a lot better than I thought I would. No tears were shed today, by anyone. For a brief second when leaving the parking lot with just Allie, I did have a little separation anxiety. But, I quickly turned my thoughts to Allie and my shopping venture and then everything was ok.
![]() |
| Audrey with sister Allie before school. She's wearing her panda dress, one she's been waiting and requesting to wear everyday since it arrived. |
![]() |
| trying to be just like Big Sister |
![]() |
| love the knee pop |
Sarah




No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.