When you grow up in the country, where the power lines aren't buried and you're more than walking distance from everything, when a big winter storm is coming, you stock up. And you should. On everything from toilet paper to candles. You could spend days without electricity and no one wants to pee in the dark. And if you live in Alabama and you even hear the word snow, you better go buy bread, before they run out. (True story and they got, maybe a dusting of snow.) I sometimes forget that I live in town now, and in a town that's prepared to handle heavy snowfall and ice. And, I could walk to the store, if I needed to. But, since I have no desire to walk to the store in a blizzard, I did pick up a few last minute items at Target today; toilet paper, soap, and dark chocolate. (I actually didn't buy any chocolate, but wish I had!) I overheard the manager saying that whatever they sell today will be it, as they don't plan to sell anything the next two days.
I'll be curious to see if we get the 12-20 inches they are calling for. I guess the kids will have a snow day regardless since they've already canceled classes in every district I know of and did by 6 pm tonight. I'm hoping I can hold out and not bake anything. I love to bake when it snows, and when it's a snow storm, it's almost sinful to not make up a batch of chocolate chip cookies, mac and cheese or warm cinnamon pumpkin bars. Comfort food. Who wants a smoothie when it's negative six? And then, even more terrifying than running out of dark chocolate. What if we lose electricity? I have no idea what I'd do without my computer or phone. No where to read the headlines (ok, facebook) and nowhere to write. No where to edit photos or upload them for safekeeping. Nowhere to track my WW points. And then I thought....how will I work out? No treadmill. No Turbo Jam? Eek. I might actually have to go play in the snow. I am certainly not prepared for that. Oh let us not lose electricity!
It's nice to have warning, and not just wake up with a foot of snow on your front lawn. It's nice to be prepared. But like my sister in law said, "I just stocked up on junk food for the winter storm. Now we'll probably get an inch and I'll gain 10 pounds."
Sarah
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.