You'd thought we were deciding between Stanford and Yale. I mean really people, it's preschool. But here there are waiting lists, and application forms, acceptance letters and even financial aid! Financial aid? For preschool!? A glorified play date with a touch of structure, a teacher and better toy variety?
We're debating on whether it's necessary/beneficial to send Audrey to preschool for two years. We've talked to many parents. Read a lot of articles. Toured three preschools and talked to their directors. It does seem, by and large that age three is the norm to start preschool. I believe it all depends on the child. If I had to send her today, I wouldn't. But in nine months, possibly. So, we needed to sign her up, just in case.
In this town the preschool process is out of control. I felt pressured to decide quickly where to apply so all the spots wouldn't be taken. You register in January for the following fall. If you don't register then, you chance the classes filling up (and they do) and the only spot left is on a waiting list. You are also encouraged to apply to multiple schools. Honestly, if my husband hadn't put a kibosh on three $80 registration fees, that would have been us, too. (I like to have options.) And some seem to take the application process a little too serious....
It was snowing and bitterly cold. The school that looked the best on paper (the internet) was our first choice. Open registration started at 8:30 on the 13th. I bundled up the girls, strapped them in their seats and headed there. We walked into the church and followed the sound of children to the preschool area (there were no signs). After stumbling upon the directors office while trying not to drop by 25 pound toddler and ten pound diaper bag, I introduced myself and told her I was here to register my daughter for preschool. It wasn't long before I realized today was the 12th, not the 13th. I was a day early. I heard myself saying, "So you want me to come back tomorrow even though I'm here today to turn in the form?" She apologized and said she just couldn't accept it today. Honestly, put it at the bottom of the pile tomorrow, but please don't make me take my children out in this winter mess again. We didn't apply to that school after all.
We have a lot of different reasons for not wanting to send her two years. For sure we'll send her when she's four. But, there isn't always a spot in the four year old class for someone who hasn't attended that school before. (heavy sigh and rolling of eyes).
If you ask Audrey where she wants to go? "Sunnyside" she will reply. Where is that? Sunnyside is the daycare in the movie Toy Story 3 where the toys go when Andy (their owner) gets rid of them accidently. I simply told her that we didn't have Sunnyside's around here and that we'd have to go somewhere else.
As of now, we're signed up for two (just in case we decide to send her). She got her first acceptance letter in the mail the other day. I have to admit, it was a little exciting opening that envelope to see if she got in. She did! I will say that I am thankful that we have the choice of so many respectable preschools. And we are blessed to able to send her to which ever one we want. I am thankful that we have a choice.
Her pediatrician recommended at her third year appointment we send her this fall. (She'll be three and a half, she won't go to Kindergarden until she's almost six) His reasoning? She tends to be a little "shy" and it would help socialize her. I like her pediatrician, really, I do, but he sees her for maybe five minutes every six months. Hardly a fair assessment. Being "shy" (we don't use that word in our house, because it normally has a negative connotation attached to it) is her personality. She's an observer first and doer second. I believe she will always be "shy" on some level. And she's strong willed. Do I believe that sending her to preschool is going to change that? No. Do I think she'd enjoy playing with other kids and learning from other sources, sure. Is a part of me afraid I'll regret sending her when she's older? Yeah. Not from the sense that she'll gain unprecedented independence and decide to start talking to people in public (ha!) but she's only young once, and even though it's only five to six hours a week, that's 180 hours a school year. A teacher friend of mine once said referring to not sending her own child, "She will spend the next 12 years in school. Why would I send her before she has to go?" I've since heard other moms say the same thing as they sit and ponder the pros and cons of preschool this year.
On the flip side another teacher said that part of being a kid is learning to interact with other kids. (Isn't that what they do in Kindergarden???) I do like the idea of her gaining more social skills and independence, which ultimately can be argued that she could learn those outside of preschool too. Activities like gymnastics, dance, etc that she's apart from parents, teaches her to listen to other adults, follow directions and learn. Play dates foster the same social interaction she'd get from preschool on a smaller scale.
I do wonder when preschool became such a big deal.
I've talked to people who sent their children and people who didn't. In the end, there is more than one right way to go about preschool. I believe it all depends on the child. As of now, we have options.
Sarah
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.