When I worked in sales, we had to turn in our projections once a month. I dreaded that report, especially if I hadn't been selling much. We also had to turn in daily numbers and weekly numbers. It was a way for the company to see how much money was projected to come in and how we occupied our eight hour work-day. And, at the end of each day we had to write down what we did that day, as an accountability act, because when you're in radio/television media sales, you're out of the office all day most days. They wanted to know we weren't playing golf or watching cartoons. Or in my case, shopping or tanning on my back porch writing wedding thank you notes over my extended lunch break. No, I never did any of those! :) Usually as long as you were meeting your goals, you stayed out of the directors office. I found that to meet my goals, I needed to make lists.
Being a Type A (personality, not blood) I love lists. I don't get much done without them in my current occupation. After I stop something to kiss a boo-boo or find out why someone is crying and respectfully punish the responsible party, I often can't remember what I was doing. So I make lists. That doesn't mean for certain that everything gets crossed off, it's just a projection of what I'd like to do that day. My children always get first priority so if I get invited to a cookie party at Audrey's restaurant, like i did today, I am going to remind myself to drop the dishes ( no matter how many days they've been sitting there) and make my way to the table she's set and eat pretend chocolate chip cookies in the shapes of colorful animals (she used puzzle pieces).
In honor of the new year I've made a list of the top 10 things I hope to accomplish, try or change. And just as my lists change everyday, I'm sure my projections for 2011 will too in one way or another.
Being a Type A (personality, not blood) I love lists. I don't get much done without them in my current occupation. After I stop something to kiss a boo-boo or find out why someone is crying and respectfully punish the responsible party, I often can't remember what I was doing. So I make lists. That doesn't mean for certain that everything gets crossed off, it's just a projection of what I'd like to do that day. My children always get first priority so if I get invited to a cookie party at Audrey's restaurant, like i did today, I am going to remind myself to drop the dishes ( no matter how many days they've been sitting there) and make my way to the table she's set and eat pretend chocolate chip cookies in the shapes of colorful animals (she used puzzle pieces).
In honor of the new year I've made a list of the top 10 things I hope to accomplish, try or change. And just as my lists change everyday, I'm sure my projections for 2011 will too in one way or another.
1. exercise more, eat less.
2. give up sugar. I know, this is a big one and I will do it gradually. I say this because I know I still have sugar in the house and it's within reach. mmm Dove miniatures! Sugar is evil. I'm for sure addicted. I've given up gluten and caffeine, surely I can master this one too? I've heard it can eliminate anxiety and get rid of PMS? Not to mention the other 100 health benefits of giving up sugar. But in my 24 hours of contemplating this task I find it's everywhere and in everything. This is going to be tough.
3. pray more, worry less. Trust God
4. plant a garden, even if it's on my back porch and in pots. Why? I love the idea of producing my own food. It's fresh. It tastes better. It's organic, or it will be before Jeremy starts spraying it for bugs. at the very least, I'm bringing back the herb garden. cooking with fresh herbs makes your food dance on your tongue.
5. survive sending Audrey to preschool. Pick a preschool and apply! I should reverse those.
6. journal more. not blog. journaling to me is the fun stuff you don't want people to read.
7. go on more than two dates with my husband.
8. read. readers are good writers.
9. eat more fish. I'm giving the cow a break this year.
10. spend less money at the Gap.
11. Go see Cinderella's castle. (As Audrey says)
I have more goals, too personal to publish. We always set family goals too. Last year I think we were so sleep deprived with a newborn that our only goal was for her to sleep through the night. We missed the mark on that one so we are continuing that goal into 2011.
11. Go see Cinderella's castle. (As Audrey says)
I have more goals, too personal to publish. We always set family goals too. Last year I think we were so sleep deprived with a newborn that our only goal was for her to sleep through the night. We missed the mark on that one so we are continuing that goal into 2011.
I like your goals...especially #11 :). Sugar causes anxiety, huh? Makes sense in my case! :)
ReplyDelete