Beyond just eating it and zest-ing for the occasional recipe, I don't do a lot with oranges. I did briefly research oranges and found an idea that I will use at some point: scooping out the inside so you're left with the outside orange shell and then filling it with sherbet or a dessert. You use the orange sections in your morning smoothie. Clever I thought. But this day, Audrey wanted orange juice.
We were out of our normal brand, with no pulp, but I had eight pounds of oranges in the refrigerator. I thought making our own orange juice would be a fun activity if nothing else. Two oranges and a lot of muscle later, we had a mere four ounces of juice. I was reminded why orange juice is so expensive. I'll happily pay three dollars for no pulp! Audrey tried to pour it into her glass and all but a drop spilled all over the table. We made more and this time she got to try it. She took a sip and was turned off by all the "stuff" floating inside (pulp) and dumped the rest down the drain. Ugh! All that hard work. I gasped from across the room like you do when someone spills your breast milk you got up at 2 am to pump.
I suppose most activities with preschoolers come with the assumption that there will be a mess. In the end, it was fun and wasn't completely pointless as we used up one or two pounds of our eight pound bag.
![]() |
| Allie trying some orange pieces |
![]() |
| not a fan |
![]() |
| it takes a lot of oranges to get a little bit of juice |
Sarah







No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.