There she stood in her underpants and her magenta tunic top (I have no idea what happened to her pants), holding up her index finger, that happened to be housing an emerald green play ring that looks magestic on her. She whispers, in her most matter-of-fact voice, while holding up her finger, "I'm going to be quiet." I say, "Audrey, what do you need?" She says, " I just want to come and give you a hug." I was rocking Allie, as she's going through a phase where she needs to be rocked for naps and bedtime. I'm currently trying to break it. Audrey comes over and gives me the longest most affectionate hug I can remember from her. I tell her I'll come in after I lay Allie down. A few minutes later, she comes back. Whispering, she comes in the room, "I want you to read Tangled." (heavy sigh on my part) I tell her, "I'll be in in a minute." And she leaves.
When I finally get to her room, I know if I read the book she'll go to sleep. She was already laying on her bed, half covered in her princess blanket. I don't even get half way through. Woo hoo, both girls asleep at the same time? That never happens anymore.
Tonight, when it's bedtime I realize why it's not such a great idea for Audrey to have an afternoon nap. She's still wide awake at 9:30. Again, I'm rocking Allie and she comes in (after her father has already done her bedtime routine and after she trekked back downstairs to tell him she heard a noise. I tell her when Allie is asleep, I'll come tuck her in. She looks at me, walks around to see her sisters face and says, "her eyes are asleep Mom." I explain that I have to wait until she is really asleep, but that I will come and see her. When I walk into Audrey's room she's no where to be seen. I thought I heard her breathe, but I couldn't see her. I say her name out-loud and am almost out the door when I hear, "Mom!" She was under the bed. She's never done that, ever. I bend down, lifting up her pink tulle bedskirt and ask her what she's doing. With a big smile on her face she says, " I don't know." I said, "Are you hiding from me?" I suppose that's what she was doing but then she started talking about a lost shoe of Bitty's.....
I read her a short book and tuck her in.
She's getting very good at stalling when she doesn't want to do something.
Sarah
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.