Every Christmas as a kid I wanted it to snow. I'd hope and pray that the grey skies would unleash mounds of snow that covered all the dead trees and brown grass, giving it a make over, so to speak. Some years it would bring a scant amount that barely dusted the ground. For years we didn't have snow at all. (disappointing) But this Christmas Eve it snowed and snowed and snowed. It was a quiet and peaceful snow that fell the entire day and into the night. A pretty snow with flakes so light and fluffy when they landed on your sleeve you could see their snowflake shape. I heard reports of 4 feet and 8 feet and everything in-between. I know we barely got our van in the garage that night our driveway was so deep.
Christmas Day
the girls slept in. Jeremy got up at 5:30 to scoop the drive and woke us all up at 7:30. Did Santa come? Indeed he did! "My dollhouse!" Audrey exclaimed as she ran into the living room. Allie got a riding toy train. I got a replacement lens for my camera--mine quit working a few weeks before Christmas. Jeremy got a man table and bar chairs to go in his man cave. We gave the girls a pretend grocery store that resides in the basement. They love it when people come to shop. Audrey especially loves to operate the cash register. Allie especially loves to steal the money and run! Bacon and eggs for breakfast and mimosas for Mommy and Daddy. Then, off to Aunt Vals for lunch and cards. Audrey loved playing with cousin Hannah and Allie was infatuated with Sophie, Aunt Val's dog. My favorite moment that day was when I was holding Lilah (Audrey and Allie's cousin who is 7 months) and Allie walked over and gently hugged her and put her head on Lilah's shoulder. It was so sweet.
![]() |
| " I wonder how long it will take them to notice I swiped Santa's last cookie?" |
![]() |
| Our family Christmas morning. |
The 26th:
church. opening gifts. sledding (only Daddy participated. Audrey had no desire to go outside and freeze her bum off or touch the snow. She doesn't like it). games. playing with cousins. Spoons. (Did you know they made an actual game for this? We just always played it with tablespoons and a deck of cards!) a toast. shrimp. ham and cheese. a late night. Audrey's favorite gift at this Christmas was a talking Jessie doll. Allie opened a tea set that the girls play with everyday.
![]() |
| Audrey and Hannah on the 26th |
We are so blessed and we are so spoiled. My heart broke early in December when other Moms and I packaged Christmas presents for children overseas. We were to fill a gallon size ziplock bag with items on the table. hair combs, deodorant, soap, and sanitary napkins were a few items we stuffed with love into those bags. I wanted to rush out and buy all of them presents. I felt awful that my girls would get more presents and little trinkets than they'd know what to do with and this child would get a toothbrush that he'd share with his entire family.
This year we are so thankful for family and that we have more gatherings to attend than we can get to. We are thankful for Jesus, the real reason for the season. We are thankful for each other. We are thankful for today.






No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.