not by this temperamental weather but while I'm on the subject....seriously, let's get it together. 89 degrees. 45 degrees. 80 degrees. tornado warnings. rain and 50 degrees. ugh. My furnace and air conditioner are so confused.
Today I'm annoyed by the constant remarks by Audrey's gymnastics teacher about Allie's weight. At first I shrugged it off. It was "oh look at those thighs" or "look at those cheeks" or "you don't miss any meals, do you!?" Seriously. It's been over 8 weeks. It's not funny anymore. Today the same teacher accidently tripped over Allie and knocked her down. She apologized, but said, "I'm surprised she fell over" meaning, as solid as she is. She followed that up a few minutes later by saying, "You've got to bring her in here in the fall so she can start to run around." I almost punched her.
Now really. Do you think my daughter doesn't run around? Do you think she sits, at 17 months old and plays video games all day long!? She just started running a month or so ago. She walked when she was 9 months. She's contanstly running around the house, running away from her sister, playing outside, climbing up the ladder to go down the slide.....The girl isn't lazy.
It's that innate protection that all mother's have for their young, especially the young who can't defend themselves. It somedays just isn't funny.
Just because you say it in a cute & joking voice doesn't make it ok. If her pediatrician isn't concerned about her BMI, then I'm not either. She eats healthy foods and she's been off whole milk for months now. (Even though most kids stay on whole milk until they are 2).
Audrey was "chubbier" than other kids her age but she slimmed down at about this age, and by the time she was two for sure. I imagine Allie will be the same way.
I love my kids chubby legs and pinchable cheeks. She's adorable. And she's healthy.
She's perfect.
I wonder if she was 10 percentile or even 25 percentile if the teachers would give me a hard time about her weight. Probably not.
Lay off my daughter's adorable figure.
Sarah
Amen!
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to hear that Sarah. That is so sad that people have to make those comments. But I do have to let you know when Audra was in the 5th percentil when she was 6-12 months old, people would make commetns that I wasn't dfeeding her enough, and that hurt too, because it made it seem like I wasn't doing my job. I assure you she ate. I think the best thing people need to remember is if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.
ReplyDeleteHad to comment...as a Mother of an adorably plump 17 month old myself - I too, am offended when people constantly bring up the size of her legs, cheeks, etc... I grew up being chubby and still have a complex to this day because of the comments that were always made to/about me, and I was constantly compared to my tiny little sister. I will not stand for my daughter to be made to feel as though she's inferior because of her size, or that she's anything less than perfect. Thank you for allowing me to vent :)
ReplyDelete