08 May 2011

Our Little Garden, the beginnings




As part of our goals for 2011, we decided to plant a little garden in our backyard. My goal: homemade salsa and a few fresh herbs.

Day One 

My husband is nothing short of handy. He amazes me everyday at what he builds or fixes or magically creates in his little shop. So I wasn't surprised at all when in 5 minutes he created this bed for our garden. Knowing that rabbits run rampant around these parts we built our garden bed up 12 inches from the ground. We may still need to add wire in a few weeks. We'll see. 

To a communications major, like myself, it's called dirt. But to an agriculture major it's called mushroom compost, manure and top soil. We added said above, raked it in, added lots of water and let it settle for a few days. 










Day Two 

We needed more "dirt" 

A family trip to buy more mushroom compost, top soil and plants began. Hours later we came home with our vegetables, fill and two pairs of cute little princess gardening gloves for the girls. 

I'm from the school of thought that it's fun to play in the mud if it doesn't get in your fingernails. I'm sorry, but I think it's gross to go dig in the dirt and then go make lasagna. So, in an effort to get in touch  with my pioneer woman roots, I will garden, and garden with gloves. If I play my cards right, I may not have to play in the dirt at all. But I will love those vegetables as I look at them out my kitchen window everyday. I will take pictures of them. And when it comes time, I will pick the ripe tomatoes and harvest fresh herbs for dinner. 


"Oh my my, what a fancy glove"
Audrey showing off her gloves, which she never put on because she didn't want to get them dirty! 


We also found children's gardening tools and got each of them one so they could help
lots of water and then we let it sit for two days
our future salsa







Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.