08 October 2011

Oktoberfest


Our first Oktoberfest party. A German party with German bier, food, Lederhosen and some college football thrown in. I learned some new recipes, Jeremy's brother brewed a special Oktoberfest beer for us and we invited our friends. It was a success, considering it was our first attempt, and this party omitted the annual Backyard Tailgate Party that we've hosted for years. I didn't get a lot of pictures taken. It's hard being the host, the chef and the photographer. We grilled German bratwurst along with dinner that I did not get a picture of.


the signage telling all about the German beer.


We ordered special mugs

this was the free mug to anyone who wore Lederhosen

our appetizer buffet. Not sure I got a picture with all the food on there

We wrote the menu in German. Gotta be as authentic as possible!


My niece Ellie, handmade her Lederhosen outfit that she wore. And yes, she got a mug

sausage balls
Bavarian like pretzels with German mustard for dipping
I followed an authentic German recipe for this dip. It actually used German beer in it. I fancied it up by displaying it in the cabbage. 
Audrey's favorite part of the evening was the punch
Apple Cider Punch. it ended up being too hot for Apple Cider so we opted for a sparkling punch instead
This was an early shot, before many people arrived. This was the first party in which we entertained using the new pergola we built in June.
Jeremy and his brother playing the this beer game. By the end of the night, all the guys were standing in a circle holding their mugs out to see who could hold it there the longest. 12 minutes was the winner. 
German potato salad is hot and vinegar based, not mayo based. 

German Chocolate Cake, which surprisingly originated in the United States, not Germany

Apple Pie Bars with cream cheese frosting

Homemade Caramel Corn
Allie. No, my children did not wear Lederhosen, but we may have to work on that for next year!


the invitation














Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.