10 October 2011

A trip to the Farm

Allie and Daddy

Harvest season wouldn't be complete without a trip to the farm. Audrey is freakishly afraid of riding in the combine and will tell you for hours upon even leaving the house that she doesn't want to ride in it. She actually won't even get out of the van, for fear that she'll somehow be forced into the big loud machine.

Allie, on the other hand, loves it.

Since Audrey hadn't been feeling well for day or so, it worked out well for her to stay in the van and  talk (and talk and talk) with Grandma. They told stories, had snacks and picked an ear of corn for both her and Allie to keep.

Today we traveled to my family's old farm. We sold it back in 2005 to Jeremy's family and a few other buyers. This is nice for me as I get to ride in the combine, and roam around the property and show my girls where I used to live. Since Audrey hadn't been feeling well for day or so, it worked out well for her to stay in the van and  talk (and talk and talk) with Grandma. They told stories, had snacks and picked an ear of corn for both her and Allie to keep.

It's still a little surreal even though my Grandpa hasn't farmed the land in over twenty years and my family hasn't lived in the house for six, to help harvest the fields my Grandpa farmed for years. As I watch the corn vanish and bounce along in the albeit comfy combine and look out the window to see in the distance the house I grew up in, I can't help but wonder how life was when my Grandpa farmed this very row of corn. And for a few short weeks, sometimes days, in the fall and spring,  I think about someday moving back out to the farm, building a huge mouse-proof house on the hill with a porch swing that overlooks acres and acres of corn and beans and maybe getting an animal or two. And then I'm reminded that I'm waaaay too much of a city girl to ever do that. So I will be content with visits to the farm. And leave it at that.

watching the corn with Daddy






from inside the combine

all done

holding her ear of corn Grandma picked for her



the view from the field looking back at the farmhouse








Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.