When I first made these pumpkin bars, I thought I'd ruined them. They aren't like your typical pumpkin bar with cream cheese frosting. Totally different. In fact, cream cheese frosting would ruin them for sure. Even though I don't believe that cream cheese frosting ruins anything (yum!). These are like a mix between coffee cake and a dessert bar. I've served them at brunches and as part of a dessert bar.
We were hosting a party in the fall of 2009 and I tried making the original recipe, named Pumpkin Dessert, gluten free. I first made them in 2004 after a co-worker brought them for a breakfast and everyone loved them. When I peeked at them after 45 minutes the cake mix hadn't absorbed at all. (you sprinkle it on the top of the pumpkin, sugar, egg mixture) Thinking they were already ruined, I stirred them and finished baking them, now the mixture completely mountain like and uneven. They didn't taste bad so I sprinkled some powdered sugar on them (they were not very pretty) to make them more presentable and served them anyway. And wouldn't you know, everyone loved them. I've been making them ever since. They are gooier than the original recipe, for sure, but a must have for the fall.
Pumpkin Cake Bars (Gluten Free)
Sarah Strubhar
1 can (pie size) pumpkin 1 ¾ c
1 can evaporated milk
1 ½ c white sugar
3 eggs
1 c melted butter
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ginger
1 yellow cake mix (Betty Crocker yellow gluten free )
Bake 350 degrees for 1 hour
Mix first 8 ingredients, pour into 9x13” pan. Sprinkle dry cake mix over pumpkin mixture.
Stir (I use a whisk) mixture near end of baking as the gluten free cake mix doesn't absorb like regular cake mix would. It will be lumpy. Just smooth it back out (or leave it how it falls) and finish baking. Sprinkle with powdered sugar once out of oven.
Sarah

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.