It seems I blinked.
Audrey is now old enough to go to Kindermusik class without a parent. Hardly seems possible to me. Especially since all last year she was our "observer" child who wouldn't talk to the teacher, wouldn't participate in class when called upon or sing out loud. She has really "come out of her shell" for lack of a better term, this summer. So today, when I left her with the other kids and her new teacher I wasn't worried at all that she'd be just fine and enjoy every minute.
I was right. She came out of class and said enthusiastically, "I LOVE my new class! and I LOVE my new teacher!" Interestingly enough, when I did go to observe the last 15 minutes, as all parents do....kind of a 'this is what we learned today' segment...she was her reserved self again. The teacher caught me afterwards and said that when I'm not with her she was very participatory. I honestly wasn't sure if that should comfort me or make me cry, but the point was, without me, she was independent and happy and for the most part, I was ok with that. Oh to have that psychology degree I almost obtained...
In the same building but down a flight of stairs, Allie began her Kindermusik class today too. Allie's in the same classroom with the same curriculum that Audrey had when I was pregnant with Allie. So strange that I'm pregnant again and doing the same songs and stories but this time Allie is my little toddler. I guess this is my first experience of doing the same thing but with a different child.
My husband didn't appreciate this story, but when it came time during the class to shut the lights off and "rock" with Allie I had to fight back tears. I had a flash back to 2009 when I sat my very pregnant self against a wall during rocking time, Audrey beside me with her baby (she had no desire to sit on my lap) and gently swayed back and forth, humming the same precious song. So surreal that the baby I used to rock in my womb was today on my lap, in the same room, listening to the same song.
Allie was more timid in class than I anticipated for her, but i think she'll come around. It's a lot for a little kid to experience other little kids and the equal number of new adult faces all at once.
![]() |
| The girls with their new class materials, Audrey with a new backpack, Allie with her little satchel. |
![]() |
| such a big girl. I love this age. |
![]() |



No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.