It finally feels like fall today.
Cloudy skies, crisp breeze and cold rain made up the weather forecast today. Anything short of comfort food for supper would have been ridiculous.
My plan for pork chops, potatoes and carrots in the slow cooker died when I entered the health food store to realize my gluten free "cream of whatever" soup was no longer considered gluten free. Ugh.
What to do? BBQ pork chops in the crock pot just didn't sound good to me today. I needed something creamier, less tangy. I remembered that Progresso has a cream of mushroom soup--or creamy mushroom soup that is gluten free. That would have to work.
And a recipe was born.
You can't have pork chops smothered in gravy without potatoes, so I threw together a potato dish that was a good starting point.
More or less so I don't forget, and for my friends who tried it and liked it:
Creamy Pork Chops (gluten free)
4 butterfly pork chops
oil
salt, pepper
brown pork chops in hot oil until lightly browned.
1 whole onion, cut up
2 cans Progresso Creamy Mushroom soup
Put onions in bottom of slow cooker. Cover with pork chops. Pour soup over the top. Cook on high for one hour and then low for 6-7 hours or until pork is done and falls apart.
Greek Potatoes
preheat oven to 400 degrees
1.5-2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and sliced
salt
Boil potatoes in salted water until done. Drain.
Let steam for a few minutes.
Stir together and add to potatoes:
3 T butter
8 oz cream cheese
1 cup or so of plain greek yogurt
Mash potatoes with cheesy yogurt mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Drizzle with heavy whipping cream, stir.
Pour into a casserole dish
Top with chunks of extra sharp cheddar cheese.
Bake until cheddar cheese is melted and top of potatoes is slightly brown.
Next time I might add chopped green onion or even cooked bacon.
Sarah
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.