21 September 2010

Allie's First Combine Ride



On Monday we went to visit Grandpa, Mike and Grandma on the farm. Audrey chose not to ride in the combine again this year so she sat alongside the field and talked with Grandma. At 9 months Allie is still pretty easy going. About one round was all she could sit still for though. She wanted to explore the inside of that combine! Obviously I didn't let her. Our trip to the farm was spontaneous so she wasn't really dressed for it as she was barely dressed at all! I tried to get some pictures from inside the combine; nearly impossible. At one point Allie grabbed the steering wheel and was "helping" Daddy drive. When she wasn't grabbing the wheel or the door, she was grabbing my camera.



Our view from inside the combine. Allie is on my lap.



We are happy to have the opportunity to visit our family farms  every fall. Often times Jeremy will go out and help at least one day or weekend a year, more if they need it. He's almost giddy driving the combine. He's a farm boy at heart!

daddy and his girls on the farm
Audrey takes a little more after me. I wasn't as hands on as Jeremy growing up. Although I grew up on a farm, most of my experience was at a distance. Audrey thought watching the combine was fun and she enjoyed seeing the corn transfer from the wagon to the bins. But she was anxious to get back to her princess car up at the house. Driving home that night Audrey asked if the cows eat the corn, why do they take the corn out of the field? Why don't they just leave it there for them to eat? Pretty brilliant for a 2 year old I thought! What a teachable moment! Jeremy had to call and tell Grandpa about that one.

This is what Grandma wrote in response to hearing Audrey's question:


"I told Dad about Audrey's suggestion for much better farm efficiency.  He thought that was so cute and funny!  That smart little girl never stops thinking, does she!  You can just see the wheels turning.  She and I had a great conversation while you guys and Allie were taking your round.  Mike was tickled at her too.  She really does have astounding ideas and what an imagination!!  What a joy!!  We hope everyone enjoyed the farm visit.  I know it was kind of loud and "chaffy".  But it's the best place on earth!! " 


Audrey, Allie and Grandma
Audrey is holding the ear of corn Grandma picked for her
Audrey sitting with Grandma watching us in the combine
Jeremy predicted that next year he bets Allie is right there riding alongside him again, but the jury is still out on if Audrey will ever get back in a combine. Regardless, she shows interest in the farm and couldn't wait to read her tractor book with Jeremy when they got home.







Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Love your beautiful fall pictures! I especially like the effect of the blurry combine in the background of two of them. Nothing more beautiful than harvesting operation on an Illinois farm, on a sunny, late September afternoon!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.