So, I've been in a rut. A fruit and vegetable rut. I buy the same produce week after week at the store. Why? Not sure really. I was recently inspired to get back to buying organic produce when necessary (dirty dozen/clean 15) and eat more fruits and veggies. Fruits and veggies are naturally gluten free and they won't make me any fatter. What's not to love? So, as the buyer of all things consumed I made it my mission to try different veggies and fruits and to learn new ways to eat my old favorites. My first mission: eggplant.
I knew what eggplant looked like, but had never bought one, tasted one or cooked with it. I knew Biaggis had eggplant parmesan and that my mother-in-law loved it. That was it. Eggplant is really pretty! A little hard to peel but slices just like a potato or squash. An added bonus? It's high in fiber! My favorite part was going to the market with my daughters. They are learning right along with me. So week one, check! I tackled a new vegetable. I can now say I've tried eggplant and I successfully made a delicious pan of Gluten Free Eggplant Parmesan that my husband raved about. Whoo hoo! He didn't even complain that it was vegetarian! Audrey ate it even though she told me she didn't like it, but she says that about every meal I put in front of her lately.
I breaded and baked the eggplant first and then layered it with the spaghetti sauce and cheeses and baked it again. Served it over spaghetti with extra sauce on the side.
ingredients:
2 eggplants peeled and sliced into paper thin slices. (I probably could have just used 1)
Ener-G gluten free breadcrumbs
dried basil
4-6 cups mozzarella cheese
1 wedge fresh grated parmesan cheese
2 jars spaghetti/marinara sauce (I used Classico Tomato and Basil)
2-3 eggs and a splash of milk
beat eggs and add milk. combine breadcrumbs and add 1/4 cup dried basil. peel and slice eggplant. Dip slices of eggplant in egg wash and then breadcrumbs. bake for 10 minutes at 350. In a 9x13" pan pour spaghetti sauce to cover. layer with eggplant and cheeses. Repeat layers ending with cheeses. Sprinkle with more basil. Bake 350 for 30 minutes. serve over spaghetti.
Sarah
Wow! Can't wait to try it! I'm glad we can share love of egg plant! Grandma S.
ReplyDelete