19 March 2013

kindergarten registration

We I  survived Kindergarten registration. And I only bought a package of M&M's, a bottle of wine and a new car.

True story.

Just think what I'll do when they start junior high.

Seriously though, it wasn't that bad. I didn't cry. There were a few moments where my stomach turned inside out, mostly thinking about her leaving me for 8 hours every day, other people controlling the majority of her days, her safety, and hoping that the kids won't be too cruel. Kids can be sooo cruel. I for one hated elementary school after the second grade. And then my heart got sad just thinking about the last five years and how grown up she's becoming and how will Allie and Ava fill their days  without endless chatter and pretend princess play led by the oldest sister? Ready or not Momma, the time has come. And this momma doesn't like change. Luckily, the change in cars was a good one. We got a Pilot. And I love it. Maybe. (maybe) it will someday be my cool mom car. Right now, it's Jeremy's main vehicle. The car seats and boosters still fit better in the van. 

Signing all 800 pages of paperwork to register my first born for school  got me thinking about running for the hills and homeschooling my children. I have to try and remember, as a control freak,  in times like these, that moving to the middle of nowhere and becoming a 'live off the land' kind of family, is probably not the answer. Although it's  tempting when I'm on page six of Kindergarten paperwork and I'm trying to decide how many hours I want to put into volunteering this year. Let's see. Sign up for room mom? Volunteer in the library?  Bring the teachers lunch occasionally? Help with the 5k? Be on the PTO? Eek! I have no idea!!! I'm very thankful I have neighbors and moms who have gone down this road before to help me with this part. I do marvel at the homeschool  mommas. And by golly I might try it if Jeremy would let me. But for now, I will channel my inner teacher through ABC workbooks, cooking with my kids and craft time.

I have digressed. Again. Fear is the only thing making me sad about sending her to Kindergarten. Fear for her safety. Fear for her feelings. Fear that she'll be sad, or miss me, or get hurt. This world we live in doesn't help. At all. It just motivates me to pray more. Lots more. She's going to love Kindergarten. She loves preschool, and she's a social butterfly. She loves to learn. I'm excited for her.

And then on page 745 or so of paperwork, when Audrey was off coloring, and touring the school, the thought ran across my mind....what will I do when all three are in school? For the last five years someone has been under my feet, screaming to be held or fed, or have their diaper changed nearly 24/7. Just sending one to school and having two at home will dramatically change my job description. And then, oh my, when all three go to school everyday......

I chose not to contemplate that any more. My only answer is to have another baby. And I'm not sure that's the best answer.


I'm thankful this is a great school, with great teachers. I'm thankful she won't have to ride a bus. I'm thankful that I'll have one on one time with Ava when Allie is in preschool a few days a week. I'm thankful that she knows a lot of little girls entering Kindergarten. I'm thankful that I was able to stay home with her the last five years. And I'm thankful that she willingly and joyfully left me in the cafeteria and went with the other kids and teachers for her segment of registration. 

Someone once told me the first part of letting go of your child is the day they are born. From that day forward you're not the only one taking care of them. 



with her friends: Julia, Lila, Audrey and Lily




Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.