09 April 2010

Potty Training Take 2



Day one

Audrey is soooooo stubborn! She totally understands what's going on, what to do, but she refuses to go when I prompt her, when the timer goes off and even after the pee is running down her leg. I finally resorted to taking away dolls. I had quite the collection by the end of the day yesterday and was fearful I was going to run out of babies to take! After about half a dozen pairs or princess underwear she actually peed on the potty instead of the floor and was able to win 1 baby back. She chose Bitty Baby.

We've noticed her "stubbornness" at gymnastics and Kindermusik this past year too. One teacher called it "observation" learning and another called it being "stubborn." However you look at it, Audrey will only willingly do something if she WANTS to do it. Almost always she's fine doing activities that she's used to doing. Anything new throws her off for a bit until she knows how to do it. Her mama hates change too, she comes by it honestly.

I refuse to make her go in and sit on the toliet this time. She knows what to do, it's now a matter of will. Is it possible she's forgotten???

Last summer, shortly after moving I decided to potty train her. I know, I know--too many life changes, however, I had my reasons for doing it then:

1. Her constant rash/folliculitis/staph wasn't getting better and the doctors all thought if she was potty trained it would go away.
2. Her pediatrician told me if she wasn't trained 2 months before the baby was due to throw in the towel. It was August, Allie was due in Dec. I had from Aug to Oct to get it. I wanted to try.

I really wanted her spots to go away. They ended up getting better in spite of the diapers when we started using antibacterial soap and an antibiotic lotion. She primarily wore/wears, size 6 overnight diapers. She would leak through in no time if she wore anything else, only making her spots irritated and spread.

She more or less got it for 1 month. Then, when we had guests over who were her age and she saw them getting their diaper changed, that was it. She decided no more panties for her. I was then entering the third trimester and knew I didn't have time to fight it before the baby came. She is, to this day, poop trained. I have no idea why that stuck, but she will tell me when she needs to poop and almost always goes on the toilet. We're 50% there.

Day two

Before 9 am Bitty Baby is back in my possession and the carpet cleaner is back out. (sigh). She went to visit Bitty in the last hour in the closet--just to say "Hi." I thought that was hilarious.
I'm already tired of cleaning up messes. We'll see how long I hold out. I can be pretty stubborn myself.




Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.