If you want to tick off my daughter, break apart her food and then serve it to her. Nothing makes her stick out that bottom lip, let out an irritated scream and throw her food on the floor, than food that was picked apart first.
Twice this week, (and a dozen or more to date) I tried breaking apart her food, to keep her from choking. In disgust she promptly threw the food on the floor. Her nonverbal response made her feelings clear. I've known for awhile she doesn't like me to feed her or piece apart her food. But she's stepped it up a notch. Half of her grilled cheese landed on the floor this week, along with a chocolate cupcake we were having for a friends birthday at gymnastics. Oh my, what a scene we made.
I was trying to keep the chocolate iced chocolate cupcake (with sprinkles) from complete annihilation.
Within 30 seconds she had icing in-between her fingers and up her nose. When I broke a piece apart for her she threw it on the floor. I watched as the tiny cake crumbled into hundreds of pieces. (It's one thing when it's at your own house, and totally another when it's at a business. It's also one thing if it's accidental). Allie put a nice exclamation mark on this bad judgement call. I knew the entire time it was not a great idea to eat the cupcake(s) there, before lunch, with the other kids, instead of taking it home to destroy enjoy. Regardless, the point was that she deliberately threw part of her cupcake on the floor when I tried to help her eat it.
She has to have her food just like everyone else. If not, it will for sure, end up on the floor. Audrey likes her cereal in a bowl with milk. So if I try to give Allie some dry cereal (even for a minute) on her tray she will point and whimper until hers is in a bowl with milk.
Whatever the food is, if you break off a piece for whatever reason, she gets mad and won't eat it. She wants the whole thing.
With every passing day, Allie is making Audrey appear like the calm, low maintenance child.
Oh dear.
Sarah

Oh my goodness! Reed does the exact same thing! I'm constantly picking food up off the floor. It's so embarrassing when we're eating out in public (which is something we basically only do at Bagelman's for breakfast). I'm afraid of him choking but...embarrassing confession coming...I'm afraid of the mess he'll make if I just give him his food "whole", too! I just need to get over it and stop breaking apart his food. But that means he's growing up and doesn't need me as much (which I actually thought I'd like but am finding out I really don't).
ReplyDelete