01 April 2013

laundry detergent

I had one of those moments today.

One where you go, "Oh my goodness I can't believe I did that!" And then run and call the poison control center.

This: 


should not be confused with this: 



It occurred to me today, while fixing supper and standing at the kitchen counter, in front of the dishwasher that was currently washing load two of the day and staring at the little box of detergent packets I'd been using to wash said dishes since Friday, my eyes suddenly focused on the words "laundry detergent." I HAD BEEN USING LAUNDRY DETERGENT TO WASH MY DISHES. I dropped what I was doing, reached for my phone and called PCC. Luckily, it wasn't as big of a crisis as I anticipated but we did use plastic everything tonight for supper, until I could go to the store, buy DISHWASHER detergent packets and rewash that load, and everything else I remember pulling out earlier that day.

A great big hurry is what caused the problem in the first place. As I've mentioned we entertained some close friends Friday night and I ran out of dishwasher packets earlier that day. I didn't want too many dishes left to do once everyone left, so I ran to the store an hour before people arrived to get three things. I noticed that Seventh Generation now made a little clear box in addition to the bag of packets. I will note, I did not go to my normal store, I went to a different one that also sells this brand so in my defense I'd never seen this new laundry detergent packaging before and didn't know they sold them in little packets. There were more in the clear box vs the bag that I had been getting, so I got the box. Again, I was in a hurry.  I flipped it over to make sure it was gluten free and headed to the check-out. I think I stood at the aisle for less than 20 seconds, trying to get back home.

 They are "all natural" but there's a lot of all natural stuff that you shouldn't consume. But just in case this ever happens to you--which I'm sure it won't, because you are of sound mind, and my mind clearly needs a break, the lady at PCC didn't seem concerned and said as long as the dishes are run through a rinse cycle, they should be fine. It's really no different than if it would have left any dish detergent on the dishes in the first place. To her, detergent was detergent.

My husband, who never gets concerned about anything said it was no different than if you licked food off your shirt. I looked at him and he said, "Haven't you ever dropped food on your shirt and then licked it off?" Um, no! I shook my head at him and then I said, "Have you!?" He then reminded me of our Disney Trip. I can't believe I forgot to write this story down in our Disney blogs....

There we were, our little family of five at the California Grill, one of Disney Worlds Signature Restaurants. Dinner was fantastic and dessert had been served. Jeremy ordered a blueberry something or other. It looked fantastic. A few minutes later, I look over at Jeremy, and he's got his red polo shirt pulled up to his mouth and he's licking or sucking something off of it. Quickly and discretely as possible I tell him to stop it!, trying to get his attention and trying not to make a scene. He realized quickly what he was doing and began laughing and then trying not to laugh. One of those shoulder shake laughs you get when you're in church or public and you shouldn't laugh too loud. I too was laughing and still asking him from across the table, "What were you doing!?" He had no good response, other than trying not to let the blueberries stain his shirt. We both still laugh out loud when we think about that moment and how he just couldn't let any of that blueberry sauce go to waste. 









Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.