Why I no longer clean during the day
The soap scum was starting to declare war on the tub toys. It was time to clean their bathroom. The girls were playing together in Audrey's room, the gate was closed to the stairs and all unnecessary doors were shut. I had almost wiped the last of the Burt's Bees off their shower walls when I felt the urge to check on them. I exited their bathroom and turned left. There was Allie, in the hallway with a children's Tylenol bottle in her mouth. Lid off. We use dye free pain reliever, so it's hard to see where she might have left a trail. Her chin was sticky. There was a puddle on the floor in front of her and the bottle was empty. I flip into hyperactive mommy mode and after assessing the situation and contemplating a call to the doctor, I call Jeremy, as he had put her to bed the night before. He reassures me there wasn't even enough in there for a full dose yesterday. Breathing easier and happy I didn't have to call the doctor or the poison control center, I stress the importance of securing childproof lids on medicine before I hang up the phone. The bottle had been out of reach, but she managed with all her tip-toe might to knock it off her dresser.
Why we always keep the bathroom door shut
I have a curious 13 month old. For reasons I don't understand, she likes to sit on the little white step stool we have for Audrey in the bathroom. She walks right in there and sits down with her snack trap if the door is left open. We keep the door closed. But sometimes her older sister accidently leaves it open. Audrey and I were in the kitchen making Valentine's. I'm unaware the bathroom door was left open. Allie walks into the kitchen, mouth wide open with something lodged in it. At first I thought it was one of the white plastic eggs that belong to our pretend grocery store, but when I pulled it out of her mouth I realize it is the cap to the bottom of the toilet. You know, the cap that covers the nut that holds the toilet to the floor and often rusts? Ew! Thoughts of her digesting urine, chemical cleaners, rust and heaven forbid, chemical cleaners swirl in my head. After a frantic call to my husband he tells me there's nothing to worry about. I'm not so sure, and pretty grossed out but refrain from calling the poison control center today.
A few days later, I was on the phone with the poison control center for a completely different matter and asked them about the rusty toilet cap issue. They confirmed my husbands diagnosis, no worries. Rust won't hurt her, they said, it's the bacteria that would. Great. I should have my bathroom sanitized at all times. OR maybe, we should just keep the door shut!!!
Little pink wrappers
I really don't understand the obsession that my little girls have with pantiliners. One day, they will realize they aren't all that neat. Audrey went through a phase after discovering pantiliners, where she wanted to wear one too. She got to the point where she wouldn't ask, she'd just put it on herself, often on the outside of her underwear. I still laugh thinking about the first time I found her wearing one. There was the time that she stuck one on our bedroom wall, right under the light switch. Now, again, it seems I need to find a new hiding place. This morning I found an unused pantiliner floating in my toilet. I still don't know who did it. Audrey blamed Allie, and Allie just stood there and looked at it, as we all did. I eventually fished it out with the toilet brush.
Sarah
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.