13 February 2011

Super Bowl Sunday

No parties. No party beverages. Probably the first time in six years we haven't had one or the other on Super Bowl Sunday. This year we simply stayed home and tried to watch the commercials game over the  screams playful laughter of our two little girls. I don't miss a million people standing around an island all trying to dip their chip in the same small bowl of dip, or going to an overly crowded loud and often cold restaurant/bar where they have nothing gluten free on the menu besides celery. Did I mention chasing after my little children in houses that aren't baby proofed while my husband sits with his buddies and watches the game!? Please! I was happy to stay home. We aren't huge fans of NFL football anyway.  Who am I kidding? I don't care in the least. But I do love parties and I love to cook and the Super Bowl poses that opportunity.  I will note we didn't have the most elaborate menu this year. Maybe next year we'll step it up a notch.

Our (we're watching what we eat) Super Bowl menu:

Buffalo Chicken Tenders
Cheese & hot sauce stuffed Celery
Football shaped cookies
Jalapeno Cheddar Dip with baked chips
Popcorn

Audrey really wanted football shaped cookies. I entertained the thought of buying the roll of sugar cookie dough and just rolling it out. This way, I would not be tempted to eat any of her cookies. But the stress of all that gluten in my kitchen was higher than the stress of eating sugar--or trying to refuse it. So we made GF chocolate chip football cookies instead. And I'll say......they were yummy. I commented to my husband that before kids I would have piped laces on these football cookies with icing. But today, it's all we could do to get plain footballs.

Buffalo Chicken Tenders
We just grill chicken tenders, or this time I used my covered baker to cook the chicken and then put Franks Buffalo Sauce over the shredded chicken. It's high in sodium so I measured mine out and the serving size was plenty for 3 oz of chicken.
Celery
The stuffed celery was inspired by a recipe I found on the Weight Watcher site. Cream cheese, feta cheese and garlic mixed together. Spread in celery stalks. Sprinkle with hot sauce and green onion. It complimented the chicken well and was used in place of ranch dressing.
Cookies
They are as easy as they look. Find a football shaped cookie cutter and cut.





stuffed celery

football cookies
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.