28 February 2012

a full blown reality show

As I've become a mom of three, almost four weeks ago, there are days when I feel like I'm filming a reality show entitled "The Frumpy Mom. " I'm certain the audience would either feel better about themselves or  think, "Good for her for going out with all three kids with no make-up and in clothes that make her look like a fashion nightmare. How brave!" Or maybe, having been there, they'd just laugh.Too much chaos, too many unfortunate accidents and tantrums, that's there's too little time to pay attention to fashion. I think it's unfortunate that I look like a chaotic mess in front of people we haven't seen in a year while standing in line at the pediatricians office.  But, my body did a remarkable, miraculous thing three weeks ago when I was given the opportunity to birth a baby. Really, it's all in my perception. And it's really easy for me to look at others and compare, really easy to fall into the mommy guilt trap. Really easy to lose focus of what my role really is as a mother. And it's really easy to do all those things when you're short on sleep.

I think in true reality all moms lives are like this--choatic, messy and sometimes unfashionable.  It just  seems like all eyes are on you when it's your kid that's being loud, serenading the check out line with their hunger screams (thank you, Miss Ava), or when you look like you haven't showered in a week. When walking out of Target that day I encountered another mom having trouble with her two year old while trying to shepherd them into the store. Suddenly, I didn't feel so alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.