08 February 2012

Picking a Name

For awhile, it was like throwing darts. We had a lot of options, none of which we were thrilled about. We agreed on Ava Grace seconds before the call went through to my parents from the delivery room. It was Ava Grace or Ava Caroline. I'm happy we chose Ava Grace.

For the first time  our daughter was labeled "baby girl" on armbands and hospital papers because an hour before she was born, and an hour after she was born we were still debating between Ava and Adalyn. or Adelyn. or Adeline. or Addelyn. and/or Addalyn. This in the end, the multiple spelling dilemma, is why Adelyn didn't make the cut.

Our top picks we've tossed around since the beginning: (written before Miss Ava was born)

1. Ava--Although incredibly popular, she more than likely won't go to college with a thousand other Avas. It's an older name, which fits well with Audrey and Allie. It took me awhile to get Jeremy on board due to an association he had with the name having to do with WWII. If you know anything about WWII you'll get this right away. If you don't, don't ask. Ava Kate. Ava Grace. Ava Claire. Ava Lee, Ava Renee and as of late, Ava Caroline.

2. Aerin/Erin--Jeremy has always liked the name Erin for a girl.  I like how it sounds with Audrey and Allie. But I wanted to spell it with an A. He hates weird spellings. So, that one got axed early on, despite my persistence throughout the pregnancy.

3. Anna--We both loved this name, especially with Audrey and Allie. This one would have been perfect, except I knew a baby named Anna from my childhood who passed away. 

4. Adelyn--I liked  this name with Allie, but we chose to name her after family instead, so we chose Allison over Adelyn. I will most likely call her Ade (Addy) and that is also very popular. Plus everything rhymes with it. Still in the running. Adelyn Grace was the chosen name, so thought my husband, a week or so ago. And then there's the delimma on how to spell it. Spelled differently, it's pronounced differently. Adelyn, Adeline, Addalyn (which looks like Aladdin to me).

5. Piper--When I decided we didn't have to have all A names, this became our first choice. Piper Paige Piper Claire, Piper June,  were our top choices. But the more I said it out loud, the more I didn't love it. 

6. Quinn--A last minute consideration thanks to my friends on FB. We both really liked the name, but again, Audrey, Allie and Quinn.....and then there's that whole, "it's a boy's name" argument. So I teamed it with a really girly name: Quinn Aurelia. Kinda sounded like Queen Aurelia. Nope.

7. Aurelia--An A name indeed, I was on an Aurelia kick for a few days until I started to really pronounce it with the other two girls. It sounded more like a first born name to me. Too prissy and girly, which I didn't think was possible for us. We're pretty fussy around here. I think it could work as a first borns name, but not a third.






Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.